I'm investing and helping entrepreneurs to build intelligent systems that solve substantive problems for enterprises and consumers.
To that end, I am currently active on a number of fronts including:
- Founding Partner of Air Street Capital, a partnership of experienced investors, engineering leaders, technology entrepreneurs and AI researchers on a mission to accelerate human progress. We work with entrepreneurs who build intelligent systems to solve problems for both enterprises and consumers. We invest as early as possible and enjoy iterating through product, market and technology strategy from day 0. Our common goal is to create enduring companies that make a lasting impact on their markets. We are proud investors in Graphcore, Vtrus, ZOE, and Mission Barns.
- Founder of The Research and Applied AI Summit, a leading community for entrepreneurs and researchers who accelerate the science and applications of artificial intelligence to solve the World's most important problems. Watch the talks from RAAIS 2019 on our YouTube channel.
- Managing Trustee of The RAAIS Foundation, a UK-registered charity with a mission to advance education and research in artificial intelligence for the common good. We offer grants for open source projects, research and education. We are proud to be the first backers of OpenMined and Open Climate Fix.
- Organizer of London.AI, a popular product-focused AI meetup uniting academics, entrepreneurs and engineers.
- Venture Partner at Point Nine Capital, a Berlin-based early-stage venture capital firm known for investments such as Zendesk, Algolia and Typeform. Find out more here.
- Advisor to TwentyBN, a Berlin/Toronto-based company developing groundbreaking technology that allows machines to perceive the world like humans. Find out more here.
- Advisor to PROWLER.io, a Cambridge-based company developing an AI platform for decision-making in a complex, dynamic and uncertain world. Find out more here.
- Advisor to ONI, an Oxford-based company developing a super-resolution microscope for your desktop and analytics cloud serving life science researchers and pharma. Find out more about the Nanoimager here.
My prior investing experience included investing a £20M fund in early-stage European and US technology companies. I was responsible for investments including Mapillary, Numerai, Ravelin, Thought Machine, Starship Technologies, Kalo, Trouva and Dojo. Playfair Capital became one of Europe's most active investors in data/AI-driven companies.
I earned an M.Phil and Ph.D. in computational and experimental cancer research as a Gates and Dr. Herchel Smith Scholar at the University of Cambridge, and a BA in biology from Williams College. I've published research that leverages both experimental and computational approaches to understand how we might stem the fatal spread of cancer around the body.
I also tweet sometimes from @nathanbenaich.